The filming of TheNew Mutants wrapped up in September with director Josh Boone at the the helm, since then, Boone has been releasing details regarding the movie that X-Men fans and New Mutants fans alike, including myself, have been dying to know! What follows is a detailed list of what fans can expect!
A new breed of X-Men heroes will make their big screen debut soon with the movie adaptation of The New Mutants on April 13, 2018. The film will be an adaptation of the New Mutants comic books, the next installment in the X-Men Cinematic Universe, now part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe follows five new mutants who are held in a secret facility against their will just as they are discovering their abilities. Together, they must fight the dangers of their powers, while battling conflicts among themselves and within themselves, dealing with their troubled pasts, and working to free themselves if they are to save themselves.
- Director Josh Boone confirms that the film, The New Mutants, is the first, in a trilogy of horror films, with the first film intended to be a “rubber-reality supernatural horror movie”, paying tribute to the late Wes Craven, known best for his A Nightmare on Elm Street movies and Boone even compared the style of this film to Craven’s A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors! Boone has said that he and script co-writer, Knate Lee (Kindap), both horror fans, self-professed Stephen King fans, and childhood friends who grew up reading the New Mutants comics together. While the future sequels will be horror as well, Boone says he hopes to delve into other aspects of the genre and to expect the sequels to be very different from their predecessor, yet consistent with the X-Men Cinematic Universe which is now part of the MCU owned by Disney.
- The cast includes an incredible line-up of young adult actors and actresses; and although it is a horror movie, much of the movie is centered around the actors, and their portrayal of these X-Men& New Mutants characters, confirmed by Boone as Illyana Rasputin/Magik(Anya Taylor-Joy), Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane (Maisie Williams), Roberto DaCosta/Sunspot(Henry Zaga), Sam Guthrie/Cannonball (Charlie Heaton) , Danielle Moonstar/Mirage (Blu Hunt), and Cecilia Reyes (Alice Braga).
- New Mutant fans need not worry about fan favorites not present in the first movie, Boone has confirmed there are plans for the film to spawn future films [2 MORE, IN FACT!] that will no doubt introduce some of the most popular New Mutants characters that fans will notice won’t be appearing in the film:“Every video complains online about characters that aren’t in it right now. I will say we’re going to introduce new characters in the next movie as well. Characters like Karma and Warlock, and all that will be in future movies.” We will see our favorites and others and Boone does acknowledge rumors that the sequel is in pre-production, with plans to begin filming the second film in Brazil which makes sense as Brazil is the home of Henry Zaga’s character, Roberto DaCosta aka Sunspot!
- Boone has confirmed that Magik will wield her Soulsword in the first film!
- Boone says the entire pitch for this trilogy was based on Bill Sienkiewicz & Chris Claremont’s run of The New Mutants Vol. 1 #18–31 & #35–38, so it’s very much when New Mutants became dark and surreal and more horror driven. Boone further revealed that there will be no costumes and no super-villains. Instead, the lead characters are going up against a psychic monster known as the Demon Bear who is connected to Mirage.
- Boone will not confirm whether any of the original X-Men such as Professor X, Jean Grey, Cyclops, etc. will be seen in the movie but will only say that it takes place in the present day X-Men Cinematic Universe and implied that these characters and this film would directly affect future X-men projects, and only two in the near to immediate future that comes to mind, X-men: The Dark Phoenix & Multiple Man, and after the Disney takeover, the Marvel Cinematic Universe & X-men Cinematic Universe have become one, so the possibilities are endless! Follow upcoming ComicWatch News for what this means!If you haven’t seen the Official Trailer for The New Mutants, you can see it here: The New Mutants Official Trailer!
The New Mutants will arrive on April 13, 2018.
Join our Age of Social Media Network consisting of X-Men, Marvel, DC, Superhero and Action Movies, Anime, Indie Comics, and numerous fan pages. Interested in becoming a member? Join us by clicking here and pick your favorite group!