“The Year of Spawn” continues with Todd McFarlane’s new Spawn mythology titles setting three record-breaking sales in less than five months.
The latest record to fall was set by Gunslinger Spawn #1 when it became the biggest launch of a new superhero monthly title in the comic industry in the past 25 years with the first printing of 393,000 copies.
Gunslinger Spawn #1 total sales are bigger than Marvel’s Spider-Gwen 2015 launch, and there hasn’t been another new character comic close to that number 20 years prior to that.
McFarlane’s Spawn titles also hold the following records: Spawn’s Universe #1 (June 2021) was Image Comics’ top-selling first issue of the 21st Century with a print run of 226,000 (and has since had additional printings).
Then King Spawn #1 (August 2021) sales demolished The Avengers record, becoming the comic industry’s highest ordered monthly superhero launch in the 21st Century with a print run currently over 520,000.
The Scorched #1 release in December is slated to break another industry record for a new Superhero Team book. After 30 years of mostly just a single monthly Spawn book, The Scorched will gather some of the most popular characters from the past three decades and put them together in one title.
In addition to these records, the Spawn character was first introduced in 1992 to a record-setting of 1.7 million copies that still stands today as the highest-selling, creator-owned comic issue of all time. Published by Image Comics (the third largest comic publisher in North America), the Spawn character also set a record as the longest-running, creator-owned comic on the planet when issue #301 was published in 2019.
- Cover A by Booth – Diamond Code AUG210013
- Cover B by McFarlane – Diamond Code AUG210014
- Cover C by Jason Shawn Alexander – Diamond Code JUL219298
- Cover D by Greg Capullo – Diamond Code JUL219299
- Cover E by Robert Kirkman – Diamond Code JUL219300
- Cover F by TonTon Revolver – Diamond Code JUL219301
- Cover G by Booth (Connecting Cover) – Diamond Code JUL219302
- Cover H 1:50 copy incentive by Capullo (Raw Pencils) – Diamond Code JUL219303
- Cover I 1:250 copy signed incentive by McFarlane – Diamond Code JUL219304
Gunslinger Spawn #1 will be available at comic book shops (48 pages, full color, rated: Teen+, $5.99, premium 10 pt. cover stock) and on digital platforms, including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, and Google Play on Wednesday, October 20, 2021.
NEWS WATCH: Todd McFarlane’s GUNSLINGER SPAWN #1 Set’s Comic Book Sales Record
User Review( votes)